Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Italy

I have just spent a few weeks in Italy for a wedding and vacation. We stayed in Rimini, a town on the Adriatic Sea. I saw many small kitchen gardens and some impressive farms. The trip from the airport in Bologne takes you passed orchards full of espaliered fruit trees. I may just have to try that in the back yard.

The photo shows a medium sized orchard in downtown Rimini, it has grape vines, a pomagranate tree, a nut tree or two, as well as some other trees. This garden is about 2 blocks from the beach. I did not have a chance to talk to the owner and that may be for the better since I do not speak Italian aside from “please”, “thank you” and “let’s go”. I was especially enamored of the gardens around San Leo and the small section of Tuscanny (near San Sofia). I have a photo of a particularly nice garden in a tiny town, but it is blurry and does not do the place justice.

I can see how such great food comes from Italy and why the Slow Food movement started here.

cheers,
christopher

No comments: